Thursday, January 20, 2011

Everybody Loves Raymond (Not Me)

I was a big fan of Seinfeld in the 90's. Huge fan. This show reinvented the sitcom. But there were a lot of sitcoms that tried to recreate the Seinfeld phenomenon. Friends  was one. Everybody Loves Raymond was the other. All three sitcoms had a huge following, and ended with a big lead up to the finale.

I never caught on to the whole Raymond thing when it was in its original run. So I thought it was time to actually watch it, and see what the big deal was about. If it was anything like Seinfeld, I'd be happy.

I'm not happy. I'm sticking with it though. I'm now watching the last season. Here are some valid points:

  • It's not funny.
  • It has no insight and delves deep into no issues.
  • Each episode seems to end with a big argument, with someone finding out that someone lied.
  • Why don't they just move away from Raymond's parents? Or at least stand up to them? Makes the whole premis contrived.
  • The children are irrelevant characters.
  • The whole show seems to be one huge mountain out of a mole hill. King Of Queens is heaps better.

No comments:

Post a Comment