I find it completely strange that one person can be seen completely different through the eyes of many different people.
I look back over time, and I find that the perceptions people have had of me over the years, in turn, makes me feel different about myself. Some people who's personality I have clashed with, give me the feeling that I am not the person I am. Other times, when I have been praised and well-liked by an individual or a group of people, again, I feel like a different person. The question still remains though - who am I?
To one elderly lady I work with, I will always be treated as a child. This dear lady is the authority on everything. She always advises me (even though I often don't take the advice, or pretend I have), but I find myself nodding in agreement or acting "stupid" - "Oh yeah?", I'd say, "you're right, I should do that" or "yes, I never thought of that". Sometimes I find myself asking her questions I already know the answer to, just to make her feel like she's the authority.
To my father, I will always be 14 years old. To my sisters, I'm probably the person they can't forgive for my childhood misdemeanors. To the parents of the children I care for, I am highly considered. My wife worships the ground I walk on. I never understood that. In the ten years I've known her, we've never had a crossed word. I truly believe that she's the only person who's ever understood me. She accepts me when I snore. She understands me when I drink too much. She puts up with my moods. She knows when I'm upset and don't want to talk about it, and she's listens when I do.
And it's Valentine's Day today. My wife had a terrible day at work. Mine was about average, but when I heard about her's I felt miserable for the rest of the night. You see, I feel bad when she feels bad. I feel happy when she feels happy. It's the same for her. That's part of what makes it special. As for understanding what makes a relationship work... buggered if I know. Sometimes it just does.

No comments:
Post a Comment